Friday, February 2, 2007

Eating out in Thailand

Just don't do it. No matter how sweet she looks, she was probably a hooker. But seriously forks (last bad joke - promise), eating out is not only cheap and delicious but practically compulsory. At around 45 cents for most meals, you'd be mad not to. Also, considering the distinct lack of any sort of cooking equipment in almost every house, you'd not only be mad, but able to do magic, and no one wants that. No one.
Anyway, funny story about eating. (Please bear in mind that I go for lunch after three hours of the most intense training I've ever done, and intense hunger is always a factor.) So, I was at lunch with a friend of mine. We go to a particular restaurant every day and are always served by the one english speaking waitress. Today was her day off so we had to try and negotiate with some of the other staff. Actually most of them had a go. Now every day we order the chicken, so that wasn't a problem, but my house mate was trying to order a red curry as well. Not one of them knew what he was on about. So he makes a shape with his hand, like if they were around a bowl, and starts going through the process again. It was as hard for them to understand as it was painful for me to watch. Unfortunately, no matter how many times, nor how loud or slowly he continuously repeated the words R-E-D C-U-R-R-Y, could anyone make head nor tail of his request. Anyway, after what seemed like the rest of the day one of the staff said they understood and went off to prepare our lunch. But it doesn't end that easily. My pal calls after him and says in quite a heavy Dublin brogue," eh, would it be possible to get that without the crispy noodles?" I put my head in my hands and thought; Jesus fucking wept.

No comments: