Saturday, February 10, 2007

End of week 3

Well, That's week three over. I can't believe I'm only out of Ireland 3 and half weeks. It feels like a lifetime already. I'm actually posting a day early today as tomorrow, the lads from the house and I are planning a trip into town and as many burgers as can be shovelled into a human being.
A bit up and down this week in terms of training. Had a hard day Wednesday, with the head guy, after putting me through my paces and nearly breaking me, did some inhuman things to my carcass. But in the nice way. Not that nice you mucky bastards. In the healing way. He walked up and down my back, making a sound not unlike squeezing a handful of rice crispies, bending me around like a retard playing with a stretch armstrong. Left me feeling like a man of 28 again. Still have that cut on the ball of my foot so no right kicks until today. Naturally my left kicks have been improving all week. Really looking forward to having a left kick like Mirko crocop. Look for his highlight reel on youtube if you're unfamiliar. Still pissed off with myself for missing the run Tuesday morning but I can make that up over the next year. Had to take this morning off. A combination of waking up with what I thought was a head cold, about four hours sleep and a sore pussy. Turned out to be blocked sinuses and an ear infection. Lucky me. I know that sounds sarcastic but it's not. An injury signifigant enough to miss a class but not enough that I'm actually out of action. Ideal.
Got a bike from one of the girls who was leaving so now I've transport. We also got a fridge, a television and a vcd player. Set for life. Totally self reliant now. Then the electricity went out. We never payed the bill. Nor did we ever receive the bill in the first place. Got the gym's Arthur Daley type to sort it out for us. Actually, his name is Noom. He's a gas dude. Anything you ask him for, from a puncture repair kit to an F-14, he says, "Hmmm, I can probably get second hand. I talk with you later". The next meeting he explains that it's on it's way to the gym. Tops. All legal too. A bit more than he pays for it but a lot less than I'd be charged. We call it the Noom tax.
Found a fruit tree on my run the other day. Well, it's always been there but it's bearing fruit now. Tried one and nearly had my face melted off like the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc. So Thursdays lesson was what unripe fruit looks like.
Had a couple of savage wrestling sessions over the last couple of days. I grapple with a guy called Tim. One of the best Thai clinch guys I've ever met and resembling a strategically shaved gorilla. Between us we are nearly 200 kilos and when he throws me I am at the mercy of the laws of physics. (Pretty much everyone else can only move me a step or two) When we grapple the little kids run around the ring screaming. It's a lot like being Godzilla, I imagine, as I look at tiny terrified Asians, although I generally keep my racist stereotyping to myself.
I was delighted to see so many young South East Asians getting into the energy conservation buzz this week. Now they are not far enough along to be building recycling centres and things like that but at least they are making the effort. The most common form of this is for a young Asian to not bother sticking the lights on his moped on after it gets dark. They're doing their part....are you?
My final bit of news is I fed an elephant this week. No, that's not code for a fat chick, (thankfully they are outlawed in Thailand) an actual elephant. It costs about 50 cents for a bag of little veggie sticks that the elephant likes. So, I gave him the first one, which he didn't really get a good grip on and knocked out of my hand. Poor eejit I thought, not even able to feed itself, but when I held it up again he wrapped his trunk round my hand like a giant sandpapery anaconda and squeezed, then slide his trunk off like he was stripping bark. This freed the snack for him, which he promptly ate. This also hurt like a motherfucker. Naturally, I was a little reluctant to go through that again, but when all two tonnes of him stepped forward I held out another treat without a second thought. Like a certain frog eating country during the second world war, I instanly capitulated and gave everything I had to the massive jackbooted bully, hoping it would buy me enough time to scream the lords prayer a few times and repent my sins.
Th, th, th, th.... that's all folks.

2 comments:

Phil Smith said...

Hey Dave,

Didn't know you'd headed out to Thailand. I loved the place - only spent two 1/2 months there but all on the one beach climbing.

Hope you have a blast - don't break anything important. I shall follow you blog.

Phil (Smith)

Phil Smith said...

Banana pancake?

rofl