Tuesday, February 6, 2007

It'll be all fight on the night.

Went to watch our guys and girls in the fights last night. Great buzz all night, from the fifteen people in the pick up truck, to the hookers arguing with me over which toilet I was using. Yep, huge agro. Apparently, I was using the stadium toilets but I should have been using the bar toilets coz I was drinking their 7 up. It's 5 baht to use the toilets you see and they thought I was ripping them off by using someone elses toilet. For fuck sake, I can go to the toilet on you for 10 baht you contrary bitch! The ride there and bag was great fun too, with twelve people in the flat bed part of a knackered Mazda pick up. Leaning this way and that like catamaran riders in a round the world yacth race. Drove straight past the cops who didn't even bat an eyelid. Drove past a load of ladyboys too, who batted a lot more than their eyelids.
The promoters had a bit of a cock up unfortunately, and our fighters were spread out in two stadia so we all went to one and then all went to the other. I was filming at both and hopefully will have them on youtube as soon as I've edited out the almost continuous swearing. Our first fighter, Kat, a girl from Slovakia, went for three hard rounds against a tough little Thai girl. Great fight altogether, very relaxed. At taiphae stadium we watched Jovan, a Canadian fighter take on a viscous looking Thai. Another cracker of a fight. And a cracker of a rib kick too. Literally. The Thai was carried from the ring after a scorcher of a kick, after only two minutes or so of the first round, which we understand cracked two off his ribs. Last but not least was Andy from Australia, who had a four round war with a wiry little Thai. Heavy blows all round, a real spectacle. Great to watch, it really was Thai boxing at its best. The Thai went four good rounds but was unable to continue in to the fifth and Andy won by tko.
Now more than ever, I can't wait to get in the ring. I'm thinking about 4 to 5 months but the rest of the fighters are thinking I'll be ready in 3, so we'll see. Watching some off the warm up fights, I realised my biggest fear is not getting knocked out, it's being in one of those fights where both guys are afraid to make the first move so the sort of stand there bopping their legs a little and looking terrified, desperately hoping the other person will make a move and leave themselves open and vunerable. A lot like my younger days, at the wesley and grove discos. How I longed for the person I was facing to make the first move towards me. So I could knock her out with an uppercut. BAM! 'Nothing personal love', I'd say, 'but this'll make a great blog in fifteen years'.
Unfortunately, I cut the ball of my foot on something sharp yesterday, and unbeknownst to me tore it open spinning on my foot to kick the bags in the evening. All of which meant I couldn't run today, and had to leave my runners on to train so no ring time. Felt like a bit of a cunt, to be honest, but I suppose it's an injury and I'm not just crying off. In the net cafe by the chemist now so going in for some plasters et al. and hopefully I'll be back in the ring by this afternoon.

No comments: